Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

"Weighing in" on some Inspiration

"The rest of the world lives to eat, while I eat to live."
-Socrates


This quote got me thinking....do I live to eat, or eat to live?  Being honest......I fall into the live to eat category.  How did I get here?  God intended for food to be used for survival.  Heck, overeating falls in the same verse as alcoholics in the Bible(Proverbs 23:20-21)! Ouch! 

So why do I live to eat?  Getting to the root of my problem is the only way I can stop the cycle.  I find myself craving food because it tastes good.  Just because it tastes good does not mean that it is good for me.  I used overeat when I was lonely(my husband works 2nd shift, 10-12 hour shifts, 6-7 days a week) but now I do it even when he IS home. 

I am going to stop this living to eat cycle today!  My life does not have to revolve around food.  I will eat until I am no longer full...and no more.  There is no sense in it!  The proof lies in my body......all that extra "food" is now attached to my hips, stomach, and thighs!

On this same note, I am not going to stop eating things I enjoy all together.  It is all about moderation and eating the RIGHT foods.  A piece of watermelon is JUST as good as a piece of chocolate...no really, it is! Next time I crave something sweet, instead of reaching for that oh so yummy cookie, I'll reach for a piece of fruit instead. 

So what is this eating to live all about?  I see it as eating the foods are bodies were intended to consume(fruit, vegetables, meats..etc.)  Processed food isn't exactly on this list.  I need to start making more homemade meals(instead of frozen or box dinners).  It may seem more convenient...but when you think about it, eating this junk might take your life earlier, so how much time are you actually losing consuming these foods?

My goal challenge this week.......I am going to MAKE 4 of our dinners COMPLETELY from scratch!  No boxes, cans, or frozen products.  I am going to prepare FRESH veggies(which are really the best), meat, and maybe try my hand at making some fresh bread!  I'm really excited about it!  I will share some of my recipes with you as the week goes on!  I know one recipe I am going to try is grilled veggie pizza!  It is SUPER easy...and even the dough is made from scratch!

Sorry for my crazy ramblings...but I feel much better after sharing that!  Maybe you struggle with the same thing?  Writing out how I feel really helps me understand why I do things and will help me break the cycle!  I can't wait to share my cooking stories with you this week(this could get interesting)!  Thanks for reading!

What is YOUR alternative to that oh so yummy, but not so good food?  Do tell in the comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment